This is the 8th Annual Van Wormer Resort Tuna Shoot Out. Registration in the East Cape will be on Friday, October 23rd at hotel Palmas De Cortez from 4pm-8pm in the conference room.
The tournament format will be the same as the Dorado Shoot Out except this time its the Biggest Yellowfin Tuna that will win. The largest tuna caught on October 24, 2020 will win approximately $35,000 (based on 100 teams entering). This is a one day tournament, so anyone can win. If you are entered in the tournament and you catch the heaviest Yellowfin Tuna on October 24, 2020 you will walk away with the cash. There will be over $100,000 in cash and prizes up for grabs including great raffle prizes, return trips including fishing and much more. Entry fee is only $500 per team and includes dinner at the awards ceremony. Terrific prizes for the top three teams that catch the largest tuna Optional Cash Jackpots of $300, $500 and $1,000 and $2,000 jackpot with an 85% return rate.
Great drawing prizes of tackle, lures, rods, tackle boxes, gift certificates and return trips to Van Wormer Resorts. All participants will receive a free tournament shirt and hat
LOCAL REGISTRATION 2020:
REGISTRATION WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE AT HOTEL PALMAS DE CORTEZ ON FRIDAY, OCTOBER 23RD FROM 4PM TO 8PM IN THE CONVENTION CENTER. Registration in La Paz and Puerto Los Cabos will not take place this year due to Covid 19.
Registration in La Paz will be held at BajaMark from 6pm-8pm on Tuesday, October 13th. There will be a Fishing Seminar conducted by Capt. Kit McNear along with the tournament registration. BajaMark is located at Allende 165 entre revolucion y Madero, 23000 La Paz.
Registration in the East Cape will be on Friday, October 23rd from 4pm-8pm at Hotel Palmas De Cortez in the Convention Center. Teams can pay by cash or credit card for entry and jackpots.
All teams must start the tournament from in front of Hotel Palmas De Cortez Saturday Morning, October 24, 2020 at 7:00am. All teams must check in with tournament control prior to leaving the starting area.
*Security will be on duty from Friday the 23rd starting at 7pm until Saturday morning at 6 am for all boats anchored in front of Hotel Palmas De Cortez. Also panga shore boat service until 8pm on Friday night.
Due to Covid-19 protocols, the 2020 Tuna Shoot Out has amended some rules and procedures in order to comply with government mandates. These mandates were necessary in order for the Tuna Shoot Out to proceed as scheduled. We ask all participants to please help us comply with all protocols as per the government mandate.
1) Face coverings will be MANDATORY at all times throughout the tournament, and must be worn at registration, when weighing fish, on hotel grounds, beaches, dock and boats.
2) Only one person per team will be allowed to enter the convention center during registration. One team member will be able to pay, pick up rules and goodie bags for the entire team.
3) When boarding your boat in the morning, please practice social distancing on the beach. No team will be allowed onto the dock until their boat is at the dock and ready for boarding. DUE TO A LONGER BOARDING PROCESS, THE START TIME MAY VARY. THE SCALE WILL CLOSE 9 HOURS AFTER THE START OF THE TOURNAMENT. Example: If the tournament starts at 7:30am, the scale will close at 4:30pm.
4) There will not be an awards ceremony/dinner on Saturday night, October 24th at 7pm. Due to the Covid-19 protocols large gatherings are prohibited. This makes it impossible to have an awards ceremony/dinner and still be in compliance. We apologize for this inconvenience.
5) Covid 19 protocols issued by the government places a limit on the number of anglers allowed on a boat each day. At this time, this are the limits that are in place.
20’-25’ boat = 2 anglers plus one crew
26’-30’ boat = 3 anglers plus two crew
31’-55’ boat = 4 anglers plus two crew
6) All raffle items will be raffled off on Saturday afternoon/evening. Winners will be notified by telephone and will be instructed as to where they can pick up their prize either Saturday evening or Sunday morning.
7) The beaches in Los Barriles are currently closed to the public. Non tournament participants will not be permitted on the beach in the morning or in the afternoon during the weighing of the fish from 1pm-4pm. There will be no vehicles permitted onto the beach any reason. Police patrols will be enforcing this, so please do not drive your vehicle onto the beach on Saturday for any reason.
We all know that these are difficult times and we appreciate your cooperation. These measures are in place for your safety and for the safety of others. We would like to thank all participates for coming out this year. We know it was not easy for many of you, but we are glad you are here. Good luck to all anglers!
2020 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Teams can check in and register from 4pm-8pm at Hotel Palmas De Cortez. All teams participating in the Tuna Shoot Out MUST check in and pick up their wristbands,rules and goodie bags. No team will be permitted to weigh a fish without having checked in prior to the start of the tournament. If you are not prepaid prior to arrival, we will only accept cash, visa or mastercard at registration.
Phone: +52 624 141 0050 U.S.: 877-777-8862 or 818-224-4744
At 7am the Tuna Shoot Out will begin with a flare start. Teams must check in with the tournament boat and show their team number before the start of the tournament. Scale will open at 1pm at Hotel Palmas De Cortez. Scale will close at exactly 4pm.
Another great Tuna Shoot Out at Hotel Palmas De Cortez! Although the fishing was tough with only 5 tuna coming to the scale, they were all nice size fish.
The winning team of Bill and Patty Buffington Fishing on the Mi Pistola with Captain Danny and Raul landed a very nice yellowfin weighing in at 93.5lbs. They took the overall tournament as well as the $300 jackpot worth a total of just over $31,000 usd.
Second place went to Team Eat Me Lures who landed a very nice 66lbs. Tuna which was good enough to take the $500 and $1,000 jackpots worth just over $27,000 usd.
Third place went to Roberto Beltran who just missed out from taking the jackpots with his 65.7lbs. Tuna. Just 3 ounces separated 2nd and 3rd place.
Congratulations to all the participants of this year’s tournament as well as all the boat crews who made it all possible. Join us for next year’s Tuna Shoot Out on Saturday October 24, 2020!